Wednesday 13 January 2010

Tony Amazes Me


My height ... just average
My weight ... just average
And my IQ is like you'd estimate, just average
But evidently she does not agree

Consequently, if I seem at sea ...
It amazes me, it simply amazes

What she sees in me
Dazzles me, dazes me
That I've learned to clip my wings
And soften my ways
These are ordinary things
Unworthy of praise
Yet she praises me
Just knowing I'd try for her
When so many would,
If they could,
Die for her
I'm the one who's worldly-wise
And nothing much phases me
But to see me in her eyes
It just amazes me.


When I listen to Tony Bennett, I listen to the more mature recordings. Every bump and bobble in his delivery has been earned.
'It Amazes Me' has such an air-tight form that when a master like Bennett gets hold of it, the song is like one long sigh of satisfaction.
Glorious.
P

No comments:

Post a Comment